Saturday, January 17, 2009

Literary cats

My mom and I were reading "The Guido Gazette" (http://theguidogazette.blogspot.com/), a weekly blog written by our good furiend Guido the Italian Kitty. In his latest blog, Guido extols the virtues of reading. This prompted us to pull out one of our very furravorite books, "Mike the Cat", circa 1934! The book tells about the adventures of a fine tabby named Mike, and how he explored his surroundings one day while his hoomans were away from home. This book belonged to my grandma when she was a kindergarten teacher in the 1930s, and she used to read it to my mom when she was a little girl in the 1950s. Although some of the technology depicted in the photographs (like the telephone, shown above) is somewhat antiquated, the book's message still rings true after all these years: Cats still love to explore their surroundings, and we still love to put one over on our hoomans! Strange to think that Mike, who would be over 75 years old now (How old is that in cat years, anyway?!) can still educate and entertain us with his timeless message. Thank you, Guido, for reminding us to pick up a good book!

2 comments:

Guido the Italian Kitty-Big Angel Now said...

My whiskers are wiggling cuz I'm ecstaticat to hear about Mike the Cat book. Headed to my liburary to find it. Hmm, my smitten kitten self thinks Mike would definicatically be a big senior by now! Catzowey thanks Curly! Here's to our paws turning abundacat pages!

Ciao & Meow
GUIDO the Italian Kitty

Skeezix the Cat said...

That looks like a grate book, Curly!